Moringa oleifera tree also known as Moringa, miracle tree, drumstick tree, horseradish tree, ben oil tree or benzoil tree is a tree with tiny leaves that are capable of saving lives. It is one of the most impressive herbs to hit the holistic health market and it was named the “plant of the year” in 2008 by the National Institute of Health;
They acknowledged that “perhaps like no other single species, this plant has the potential to help reverse multiple major environmental problems and provide for many unmet human needs.”
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF MAKING TEA WITH THE LEAVES AND OTHER PARTS ARE WHAT WE WILL BE LOOKING AT IN THIS ARTICLE.
These leaves are loaded with phytochemicals, vitamins, minerals, essential amino acids, antioxidants and more; it fights diabetes, inflammation, high cholesterol, oxidation and the activities of free radicals and it protects the heart. The seed of Moringa tree even purifies water better than many conventional synthetic materials used that leads to all types of health problems.
The leaves of Moringa tree have been used for centuries (at least four thousand years) to treat and heal lots of diseases and it is used in Ayurvedic medicine (Indian traditional healing system) to cure and prevent about 300 diseases. Over 1,300 studies have proved the healing abilities of this plant; every part of this tree like the stem, flower, leaves and seeds can be used to make tea which has the ability to fight many chronic diseases.
BELOW ARE SOME HEALTH BENEFITS OF TAKING MORINGA TEA:
It is very nutritious: The leaves of Moringa are loaded with nutrients; phytochemicals, flavonoids, essential amino acids and antioxidants;
- it has 12 times the vitamin C of oranges,
- 17 times the calcium of milk, 15 times the potassium of bananas,
- 10 times the vitamin A of carrots and
- 9 times the protein of yogurt.
Taking this nutrient packed leaves daily will supply your body with plenty healthy nutrients and prevent you from deficiency of any vitamin or mineral or malnutrition.
- It protects the heart and cardiovascular system:
- It reduces the levels of cholesterol;
- it prevents plaque from forming in the arteries,
- it high content of potassium reduce blood pressure because
- it acts as a vasodilator that ease tension in the blood vessels.
- It protects the liver:
- The leaves of this plant are high in polyphenols which protects the liver against toxicity, damage and oxidation by free radicals.
- Moringa reduces liver damage and fibrosis; it reverses oxidation in the liver and restores the enzymes of the liver to their normal levels and increases the levels of proteins in the liver.
- It prevents kidney diseases and boosts the functions of the kidneys: It treats and resolves urinary tract infection;
it prevents and dissolves kidney stones,
- it flushes out excess calcium from the kidneys,
- it flushes out dissolved kidney stones and reduces the pain and inflammation associated with kidney diseases and problems.
- It makes the bones healthy:
- The leaves of Moringa are extremely high in calcium which is needed for healthy bones and teeth.
- It is a rich source of antioxidants:These leaves are rich in many antioxidants like vitamin C, beta-carotene, chlorogenic acid, retinol, glutathione, superoxide dismutase and Quercitin.
- It has many anti-aging compounds that lowers oxidative stress and stops the activities of free radicals; these stops rapid aging, chronic diseases and age-related eye disorder;
- it also balances the hormones naturally.
- It boosts fertility: Moringa has been used for thousands of years as a natural aphrodisiac;
- it increases sex drive and sexual performance,
- it increases the production of breast milk and boosts the immune systems during pregnancy.
- It boosts the functions of the brain:
- Its high protein content and rich source of tryptophan, an amino acid helps the neurotransmitters to function properly;
- it also helps in the production of serotonin, that “feel good hormone”;
- it also boosts mood, prevent mood swing, depression, insomnia, low libido, low energy and fatigue.
- It also supports cognitive functions and prevents dementia and Alzheimer’s. Its high content of vitamin C and E fights oxidation that leads to the degradation of the neurons and this in turn will improve the functions of the brain.
- It normalize the production of neurotransmitters, serotonin, dopamine and noradrenalin in the brain and all these biomolecules play key roles in mood, memory, response to stimuli like pleasure and stress, organ functions and improves the overall mental health.
- It can help particularly with insomnia since the brain controls and regulates sleep; Moringa has tryptophan that helps with serotonin and also melatonin which is the hormone that regulates the sleep circle.
- It helps patients with autoimmune diseases:
- It is of a great help to people suffering from autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis, lupus, scleroderma and psoriasis due to its immune modulating properties; its anti-inflammatory properties will also reduce the pain and swellings of the joints.
- It boosts the immune system: This tea has high levels of ascorbic acids (vitamin C) and other powerful antioxidants that boosts the immune systems and protects the body against diseases and infection. Vitamin C increases the production of white blood cells and slows down the process of oxidative stress which can lead to a weakened or suppressed immune system.
- This tea has positive effect on chronic diseases like cancer and AIDS.
- It boosts the energy levels of the body: This plant is heavily loaded with antioxidants; minerals, vitamins, essential amino acids and phytochemicals that clears out waste products, supplies the body with nutrients, repair and regenerates the tissues of the body; this leads to increased energy.
- It fights diabetes: Chlorogenic acid slows the rate at which the cells absorb sugar thereby lowering blood sugar and guarding against diabetes
- It also contains isothiocyanates which have an anti-diabetic effect.
- It reduces inflammation:
- It contains powerful compounds like isothiocyanates, phenolic acids and flavonoids and other anti-inflammatory compounds which help in fighting and reducing inflammation by suppressing inflammatory enzymes and proteins.
- It helps digestion:
- It prevents and treats stomach ulcers, boosts the function of major organs like the kidneys and liver,
- it prevents digestive problems, fungal or yeast infections, diarrhea, constipations and
- it detoxifies the body of heavy metals.
- It eliminates gas, prevents bloating, cramping, rebalances the good bacteria in the intestinal flora and improves the functions of the gastrointestinal tract.
- It increases the production of breast milk in breast feeding mothers: Lactating mothers that regularly take Moringa tea and add the leaves to their diet produce more breast milk and their infants gain weight and enjoy robust health.
- Its high calcium content might be the reason behind this.
- It lowers cholesterol:
- It can lower cholesterol and reduce the formation of plaques in the walls of the arteries.
- It aids easy weight loss: Its anti-inflammatory and diuretic effect prevents and reduce water retention;
- its high fat content reduces the absorption of fats in the blood and
- it reduces insulin resistance and this in turn will prevent excess accumulation of fats.
- It protects against toxicity:
- This tea can protect against toxicity from the prolonged use of toxic products or food that are contaminated;
- It boosts healthy hair growth:
- This plant is loaded with zinc, vitamin A, E and amino acids which are used in the production of keratin; taking this tea daily will act as a powerful tonic for your hair.
- It increases the circulation of blood in the scalp and stimulates the growth of hair
- It also reduces dandruffs and other scalp problems.
ITS BENEFITS THE SKIN:
The antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal compounds in Moringa protect the skin from harmful rays, oxidative stress and various forms of infection.
- It eliminates body odour, athlete’s foot, acne breakout, boils, dandruffs, gum disease and
- it hastens the healing of wounds.
- It also hydrates the skin and gives it a glowing and flawless look.
- It removes and stops the formation of wrinkles and fine lines;
- it also maintains the smoothness and youthful appearance of the skin.
- It prevents the outbreaks of acne and black heads and clears their scars;
- it also control and prevents eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions.
- It is beneficial to cancer patients:
- This miracle leaves have been proven by some studies to cure and fight various types of cancer; the leaves have chemo modulatory effects that cure some types of cancer like cancer of the liver and ovaries.
- It both inhibits the development of cancer cells and kills the cell completely.
- It is also rich in kaempferol, Quercitin and rhamnetin that are good cancer fighting compounds.
- It regulates the functions of the thyroid: People with thyroid problems have seen improvement in their condition when they started taking Moringa; Hashimoto’s diseases (an inflammatory condition of the thyroid) is resolved without medication when Moringa is taken regularly, regular use of Moringa also helps people with over active thyroid or Grave’s disease.
HOW TO MAKE MORINGA TEA
There are two ways to make this tea and take, we have the: Fresh method and Dry method
THE FRESH METHOD
In this method, the fresh leaves and flowers of Moringa are used; fetch the quantity you want and rinse it under running water, you put it in a pot and add two cups of water. Let it boil then you bring it down and let it cool, sieve it and add honey for taste.
THE DRY METHOD
This method involves using dry Moringa leave powder. Boil a cup of water then add some tablespoons of the leaves as much as you like; leave it to cool and change colour, you can sieve it if you wish but if it is finely grounded there is no need. You can add honey for taste and your tea is ready.
HOW TO MAKE MORINGA LEAVE POWDER
image sourceHaving the powder of Moringa is good because you can carry it on your journey with you and you might not see the fresh leave where you are going. When I am at home I use fresh Moringa leaves and flowers for tea but when I am traveling I prepare the powder and take it along; I will show you how you can make Moringa powder in the comfort of your home.
Pluck enough green and fresh Moringa leaves; you can add the flower if you wish; then rinse them and air dry them. You can leave it for days to make sure it is well air dried. Do not dry it using sunlight.
When it is well dried; you can blend it or grind it till it is very smooth; then you store it in an air tight container. It should also be grinned or blended dried.
OTHER WAYS TO USE MORINGA POWDER
Other ways you can use this powder is by adding it to your meals, soups, smoothies, fruit juices, custards and pap and other drinks.
DO YOU KNOW MORINGA LEAVES CAN BE ADDED TO GINGER LEMON TEA?
Yes it can be, this is how I make mine. This gives you extra nutrients combined by these two powerful herbal teas. This is the recipe.
METHOD ONE (FRESH INGREDIENTS)
This method involves the use of fresh ingredients; in a pot containing two and a half cups of water, add some fresh Moringa leaves and flower; grate or pound some fresh ginger roots as much as you can handle and add it, you can also add turmeric in the same way.
Add the juice of one big lemon and you can boil the back of the lemon with the other ingredients in the pot if you wish but I do this sometimes. Let it boil for 5 to ten minutes; then you bring it down from the fire and let it cool. Then you sieve it and add your honey for taste. Your tea is ready.
METHOD TWO (DRY INGREDIENTS)
This method involves the use of powder ginger, turmeric and Moringa powder. In this case you put two cups of water on the fire and pour the quantity of ginger and turmeric powder you want; add the quantity of lemon juice that you want and you can also boil the back. When it has boiled for ten minutes you bring it down and add the Moringa powder; let it cool, then you sieve it, add honey and your tea is ready.
Make it a habit to take at least a cup of this tea daily and see tremendous improve in your health